History of The Green School
What is below is information that has been gleaned from published and unpublished material used to write ‘The first 200 years of The Green School Isleworth 1796-1996’ written by Wendy Mott 1996.
The history of the Green School dates from 1796. At this time Isleworth was a small community consisting mainly of market gardens and orchards. There was the Isleworth Flour Mill at Mill Platt, Joseph Shore’s pottery and brewery.
At the end of the eighteenth century Sunday Schools began to be established all over the country. The Rev. William Drake, D.D, started a Sunday School in Isleworth in 1796 and after many changes this became the Green School as we know it today. The object of the school was to provide places for the children of the poor, who were too numerous to be admitted into the existing Isleworth Charity School (founded in the 17th century, now known as the Blue School).
Benefactors of the school consist of Elizabeth Lawrence (1794), John Robinson (1802), who was also a benefactor of the Blue School and All Saints Church and John Sermon (1828), who was a church warden at All Saints. The Green School was endowed in 1858 and in 1864 by Charlotte Florentia (1866), Dowager Duchess of Northumberland. History tells us in 1825 she and the Duke were created Ambassadors to the French Court for the coronation of His Majesty Charles X of France and on their return she was appointed governess to Princess Victoria, later the Queen of England. She made many great acts of generosity to the parish. She lived in Syon House and this is how in 1858 she became involved in the Green School. She outlined the rules of the school and provided uniforms and boots for the girls. Portraits and a bust of Charlotte can be found to this day in Syon House.
The first school was in Church Street. The children attended the school on Sundays from nine to ten-thirty, and then went to church, and again in the afternoon from two to three-thirty and then to church again. In 1823 the school became a daily charity school. The earliest known headmistress was Mrs. Sarah Ellen Atkins. The school building was then moved to Park Road in 1859.
The Green School began as an elementary school but in 1904 the trustees determined to conduct it as a Secondary School for Girls. Henry George seventh Duke of Northumberland, K.G., erected this building and let it to the Trustees for this purpose. It was opened on the 16th January 1906 and the current location of Busch corner. It was originally built on one floor being able to accommodate 120 girls. On July 16th 1934 the new buildings were dedicated by the Right Reverend the Bishop of Kensington and ceremonially opened by Her Grace the Duchess of Northumberland. During the year of 1940 the school suffered bomb damage on 3 separate occasions. In 1951 the rebuilt school was opened and has continued to enlarge.